It may be a bit early in the season, but we have a big holiday gift for all our loyal LBRYians! We’re pleased to announce the release of LBRY Clarke, the newest (and best ever) version of the LBRY app. Our team’s first priority has been improving the reliability, stability, and speed of the LBRY network, and Clarke delivers an odyssey of upgrades on those fronts for both our desktop and Android apps.
We’ve overhauled the LBRY SDK (the program that allows computers to communicate with one another on our decentralized network), and it’s never been this fast! These improvements will boost load speeds considerably across the LBRY ecosystem. During this upgrade, your wallet is also migrated to a new format and old version is backed up safely.
A Galaxy of New Features on Desktop and Android
So what’s in this goodie bag of a release? You can read all the details in this doc, but here are the highlights:
- New custom reward codes for users. Be on the lookout for contests and promotions for your opportunity to earn rewards! Reading this post and recently upgraded? Here’s one for the first 100 users to claim:
- Major improvements to subscriptions. Meet YRBL the Gerbil - he'll suggest some awesome channels to check out on LBRY! We’re also making sure that you see the newest content from your favorite creators as soon as it’s available with new notifications to alert you to fresh content. A weekly email digest with new content from subscribed channels is also launching soon!
- Content tiles now show posting age. No more wondering how old the video that you’re about to watch is - the explore page now displays how long ago videos were posted.
- A brand new “history” page. In the “My LBRY” menu you can now view your watch history to revisit and share old favorites.
- More ways to share LBRY content. In the past, it’s been a bit of a pain to share something from LBRY on the web. With new sharing options, it’s easier than ever.
- Want to see commenting on LBRY? Help us gauge interest in commenting by clicking the option at the bottom of any content page! You’ll be added to our notification waitlist.
- Minor design updates You'll notice a few cosmetic/styling changes as our app evolves, let us know what you think!
- Tipping! In-app tipping is now available in the Android app.
- Reward codes Just like the app, you can redeem reward codes on mobile too!
- An all new wallet. We’ve overhauled our mobile wallet to make it faster and lays the foundation for cross device syncing (to be enabled later)
Most of all, you should see significant increases in load speed and reliability across the entire LBRY network.
Arthur C. Clarke arguably created modern science fiction. Obsessed with exploration, during his life Clarke was a major proponent of mankind’s journeys to the far reaches of experience, from the depths of the ocean to the void of space. He also helped connect people around the globe - his early work on geostationary satellites was the very beginning of our modern worldwide telecommunications system. Clarke was a passionate believer in the value of human freedom, quoted as saying, “In the struggle for freedom of information, technology, not politics, will be the ultimate decider.”
And he didn’t just leave his mark in the real world - as a pioneering science fiction author, Clarke brought the ideas of space travel and hard science to an eager audience of laymen. The author of “2001: A Space Odyssey” inspired Stanley Kubrick to create one of the most enduring visions of human frailty and potential ever put to film. Without Clarke, technology like LBRY wouldn’t be possible, and without his imagination, the world would be a bit less full of wonder.